Monday, July 9, 2007

Fratboys & Injuns

I had a dream last night that I was at a summertime fraternity party. Upon my arrival, just after dark, there was a commotion on the property of the fraternity house. It was on a corner lot, and there was a group of trees right up at the corner. The main fraternity activities were to take place out on the lawn - a pig roast, beers, music, and other summertime outdoor activities.

There were a number of lights in the trees, though. A couple guys came and ased me to go talk to some people there. Once I got to the trees, I saw that one had fallen. Around it stood a number of native-looking fellows in grass skirts, with weird sticks through their ears, noses and lips, holding torches.

Apparently, the fallen tree had been the tallest of the bunch, and these natives, who lived across the street, had worshipped it from afar like it was a god. Now that it had fallen, they wanted to all come over to the fraternity property that night and hold some big ceremony.

So, now that I had arrived, the fraternity guys wanted me to sort the whole thing out. They didn't want anything getting in the way of their fraternity party, and they weren't about to share their celebration activities with the natives' funeral for their god.

So, I took the natives back across the street and tried to talk sense to them. This wasn't easy. Their religion demanded that they hold this ceremony on the night that their god-tree fell. They spoke perfect English (and even offered me a soda). They were insistent. I asked them more about the ceremony, and they explained that it entailed music, drinking their native fermented drink, dancing and a celebration of the god-tree's life.

Needless to say, I was struck with inspiration. I ran and grabbed two of the fraternity guys and brought them across the street to the natives' home. I explained to everyone there that they all, in essence, had the same the same plans for the evening. Why not share the fraternity lawn for it? All the better to get to know your neighbors.

The fraternity brothers and the natives agreed. That night, they drank, and they danced. The fraternity guys bid a respectful farewell to the god-tree. The natives learned new dances from the college girls. They partied late into the night and were friends forever after.

There I go, creating world peace, one effed up boozy dream at a time.

No comments: