Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pub?

Two weeks, and I can get the new Elbow album, Seldom Seen Kid.

Will I be willing to wait until it comes out in the U.S., or will I buy the import from the U.K. for $36? Sadly, I don't think I can avoid the latter.

About two months ago, my fevered anticipation began with a clip of a great new song on their website. Check it out.

Now, as a result of periodic YouTubing, I find they've released their first video and single, Grounds For Divorce. It's a fantastic thumping anthem of a man who spends his life in the local pub, instead of with his wife and son. Awesome.

I'm not sure why Guy Garvey pounds his mug on the table throughout the song, but I love it. Maybe it's a nod to the Masons, who pound their mugs down as a means of hearkening to the sound of cannon fire. Or perhaps it's an expression of anger at himself for drinking his life into ruin.

I know I've wanted to slam my mug down for both reasons. Do I need much more excuse?



Well, consider my pants peed. I'm headed to Amazon.

No comments: