Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Where to Start?

I have a feeling this first post will be more awkward than others in the future. I’m typing with a spectre over my shoulder – the spectre of the fact that this whole thing is just a vanity for me. It’s so lame to be saying, “Look at me! I write!” And that’s not a condemnation of blogging in general. I just don’t feel quite like part of the group: “people who write stuff.”

What it comes down to is that I really like writing. All writing, though, in my hands, feels like a vanity. That’s where Seven Wicked Demons comes in – to immediately throw things I’ve written out into the world, if even for a small readership, just to get over the anxiety of doing so. I was inspired to do this by my buddy Rob over at Murder by Baltimore. He’s one of those friends I’ve always admired for putting himself out there. I hope to be so brave and get as good of results from life.

I guess the next question is, “So, when do you send that first email to all your friends to say ‘Check out this place where I open myself to the world. Hope you like it!’” Oh, man, one step at a time.

All that having been aired, on to another important topic: the name. Listen, I thought about the name for this thing for like a week. I’ll probably change it in another week. Who knows? Don’t read anything too deep into it. It has a couple levels of meaning to me, just about none of which are related to the apocryphal text, “The Acts of Andrew and Matthias in the City of Cannibals” (in case you’ve Googled it). But, I’m not afraid to say I just thought it sounded kind of interesting. Someday, I’ll do a whole post on the phrase "seven wicked demons" and why I chose it. It's gotta gel first, though.

So, there’s more to come. But, the Life, she beckons. Hateful bitch. Lets me do what I want far too rarely. I’m stuck with her, though. Since I certainly don’t want to leave her and can’t trade her, I’ll have to just change her a little at a time.

No comments: