Thursday, November 1, 2007

This Halloween, I Went as a Music Critic

Have you ever had an acquaintance go out of his way and do something really meaningful for you, making you realize that he's really a friend? OK, that's a little deep, but that's how I feel about The Bravery, who I saw play a Halloween show last night.

I've known and sort of liked The Bravery ever since I heard their ultra-catchy An Honest Mistake a few years ago. I bought their sophomore CD almost as an afterthought. I listen to them at times, like when they pop up on shuffle on my MP3 player. But I've never been into them or thought of them much.

My girlfriend recently became enamored with The Bravery when they landed on her IPod from my computer. So, last night, at her suggestion, we saw them play a Halloween show at the 9:30 Club in DC.

I hadn't really expected much, but it was a fucking blast.

There are many things that stand out about the show, and the costume contest at the end was not least among them (Lieutenant Dangle from Reno 911! won). Many in the crowd, of course, donned various costumes, from the shamelessly slutty to the highly inventive. I was also quite impressed with the guy who dressed as an IPod playing The Bravery - to the Bravery concert.


The Bravery came out in full costume. Most notably, their bass player played almost the entire show (minus the encore) wearing a 3-foot horse head with white top hat. It was utterly disturbing and fantastic. The keyboard player wore one of those lame skeleton costumes a la The Karate Kid.

Within minutes of the opening, I came across something I had never realized before - The Bravery rocks. I don't mean that in the sense of "The Bravery is the most talented band I've ever seen," but I do mean it in the sense that their songs are good, their stage presence is wonderful, and their show was just, well, really damned fun.

Other minor observations that led to this conclusion: The Bravery's songs have good backup harmony vocals that add a lot of depth to their music. Moreover, those backup vocals, I think, are secretly the lead vocals - they're the part the crowd sings along with.

Also, the lead singer graced us with something to which I feel entitled but never receive - interaction with the crowd. I'm pretty sure he told us what every one of their songs is about.

So, this band that was an acquaintence is now a good friend. The Bravery has proven to me that they deserve more rotation on the MP3 player. If nothing else, I can listen and think back to this show. It was a really good concert, and the crazy Halloween shenanigans only made it more fun.