Friday, May 9, 2008

Open to Interpretation

Well, I heard from a number of you about the Nick Cave song, Hold On To Yourself, in my previous post. Interestingly no one thought of the same meaning that I did. Also interestingly, I haven't heard the same interpretation twice.

Here are some of my favorites, (as in, I think it is a reasonable interpretation):
--A dead man determined to come back to life
--A woman masturbating while her man is far away
--A man being tormented by a witch or evil female spirit

Nonetheless, my interpretation was totally different. Refer to the lyrics, below:

VERSE 1: He's alone and upset, questioning God's motives, and thinking that other perceptions of misery have nothing on his.

VERSE 2: He remembers making love with his woman. She was beautiful and she loved him.

VERSE 3: In a seedy town (or part of town), late at night, some guys drinking and driving around come upon her, hitting her and killing her before she can react. Pople lay flowers at the secene.

VERSE 4: He's haunted by the loss of her. He can barely sleep, and even then he dreams of her being whisked to the afterlife.

VERSE 5: He feels totally alone, and he has become angry at God. He's disillusioned at the meaning of anything.

CHORUS: Someday, he'll "come back" to her. He wishes he could now, but eventually, he will, and as soon as he enters the afterlife, he'll find her and hold her again.

Just my take. Like I said, it hit me as soon as I heard it. To me, this song is full of a terrible beauty - the strength of wonderful love in he most horrendous circumstances.

Some people tell me I'm no softie.

No comments: